The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Meifod lies in the u-shaped valley of the River Vyrnwy known as Dyffryn Meifod on the B4389 some 9km north west of Welshpool and a similar distance from Llanfair Caereinon. Oswestry is some 23km to the northeast. Here the river meanders extensively and the village is surrounded by a flood embankment. The church lies at the heart of the village.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church of St Gwyddfarch was believed to have been built here c 550 and here developed a cult centre for his more famous pupil St Tysilo. Gwyddfarch was the son of the Breton Amalarus. Its medieval nature is exemplified by the large (5 acre) circular burial ground. It became a ‘clas’ church with dependent chapelries in Llanfair Caereinion, Guilsfield, Welshpool and Alberbury (in Shropshire). Traditionally the Welsh Princes of Powys were buried here and again tradition has it that their seat was at Mathrafal 3km away. (The tradition can be supported back to C12).
Madoc ap Meredydd, Prince of Powys, is reputed to have built the church of St Mary and this church was consecrated in 1156. This church subsequently belonged to Strata Marcella Abbey. There may have been a further church on the site dedicated to St Tysilo. The C12 poet Cynddilu celebrated the beauty of Meifod and the magnificence of its church and priests in his ‘Song of St Tysilo’.
The 1254 Taxatio valued the church at £2,13s 4d and it was acknowledged as the mother church in 1265. In 1631 a terrier recorded that ‘two older churches’ were being occupied as houses and gardens – one almost certainly being the chapel of St Gwyddfarch and its outline ab d glazed floor tiles were recovered when the congregational Chapel was built in 1881-3.
Restoration of the church in 1871 led to the removal of the gallery of 20 benches above the nave. The magnificence of the church demonstrates the wealth of the fertile Dyffryn Meifod in the C18 and C19.
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Cadw Listings Notice
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is a ‘high status’ Norman church of nave and chancel in one, a west tower and north and south isles. It was built with brown and grey shales with some pebblestone and reused red sandstone and ashlar. There is evidence of limewash. The roof is slated with plain grey ceramic ridge tiles and a cross finial to the nave. The tower has impressive gargoyles at the string course, a crenelated parapet with a pyramidal roof topped with a weather cock.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The tower has a stone slab floor with plastered and whitewashed walls and is built into the last nave bay and with a stair turret in the south-west angle. The nave has a tilled floor save at the west end where there are stone slabs including one re-used gravestone dated 1723. The benches are raised on wooden planking. Like the tower the walls are plastered and whitewashed and there is a fifteen-bay roof extending over both nave and chancel. This is divided by arch-braced collar trusses with raking struts. There is no division between nave and chancel. There are three steps up to the altar with a Victorian tiled floor.
An oak reredos races the east wall – carved with vines and said to be made from a wall plate of the medieval roof and pews – one fragment dated1626. The communion rails are slender with twisted balusters. The richly carved pulpit is by Ferry. The stained glass: ‘The Ascension’ by Henry Hughes, 1872; also by Henry Hughes ‘Scenes from the Gospels’, dated 1877; ‘The adoration of the Magi’ by Ward & Hughes, 1889; ‘Christ the Good Shepherd with St Peter and St John’ David Evans, 1856. David Evans was from Shropshire and he made the six panels of heraldic glass showing the Arms of Welsh Border families.
There are three bells: of 1679 cast by Thomas Roberts, of 1698 cast by Ellis Hughes and one with an unknown caster of 1700
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.