The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llanllugan is a small settlement on a minor road about 5km north west of Tregynon in the Rhiw Valley and 15 km west of Berriew. It lies in the rolling hills of Montgomeryshire between Newtown and Llanfair Caereinon.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church is said to have an early medieval foundation possibly founded in C6 by Llorcan Wyddel to whom is was probably originally dedicated. A Cistercian nunnery was founded here by Maredudd ap Robert, the Lord of Cedewain, as a daughter house of Strata Marcella in the Severn Valley near Welshpool. It was a small hose with, in 1377 an abbess and four nuns. The Pope Nicholas Taxation of 1291 referred to it as the Abbey of Llanllugan. It has been suggested that the chancel was shortened in the C15. In 1874 the church was restored, the gallery removed, the roof repaired and reseating took place. A day school was held in the church in C19. Between 1964 and 1991the roof was again repaired and detailed notes on the construction were made by the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, during this time the small bell turret – dating from the C19 restoration - was removed. The village sits on a Drover's Road to Welshpool.
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Roads and Trackways of Wales Richard Moore – Colyer 2001
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is a single chamber church with a south porch build from irregularly courses fine grained sandstone with occasional blocks of red sandstone and some quite large blocks of pebblestone, it was probably limewashed in the past and has been heavily re-pointed. The roof is of slate with black ceramic ridge tiles and a modern wrought iron finial to the porch.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The church is entered through the open south porch which has a C19 red and black tiled floor, plastered and whitewashed walls with a roof supported by eight slim scissor-beam trusses springing from wall plates. The doorway into the nave has a two centred arch. The porch floor continues with the benches on a raised wooden platform walls are pained and plastered save for the west wall which has exposed stone up to the tie beam level. There is a six-bay rood of C15 style which extends over both the nave and chancel (two bays) with seven moulded arch-braced collar trusses with cusped raking struts and two tiers of cusped wind braces; four of which have tie beams as well. A single step leads into the chancel and two more into the sanctuary which has encaustic floor tiles. On eitherside of the east window are wood-framed Decalogue boards. The east widow dates from 1891 of three lights and is an assembly of glass showing the Crucifixion, a king and an abbess or nun, one piece of the glass dates from 1453 and the material is among the most important collections of Cistercian window glass surviving in Britain. The font is from c1200, deep and circular, cut to an octagon at the base.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.