The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The riverside location and curvilinear shape of the churchyard indicate a medieval foundation probably from the clas church at Meifod. In 1239 the Bishop of St Asaaph gave a portion of the church to the Cistercian nunnery at Llanllugan. It is recorded in the Norwich taxation of 1254 when valued at 20s and in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291 valued at 17s.
In 1866/7 the old church was demolished due to its poor state of repair and a fresh church was built largely on the old site to the design of Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury at a cost of £1900. The old wooden steeple typical of Montgomeryshire was retained with its carved sandstone capitals in Early English design. In it was replaced in 1887 with the present stone tower was constructed by A E Lloyd Oswell, architect of Shrewsbury.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A continuous nave and chancel form the body of the church with a north aisle incorporation a vestry, a south porch and a square western tower.
It was built from medium blocks of fine grained, quarry-cut, greyish-buff in colour sandstone with pink and yellow sandstone dressings. The roof is slated with black ceramic ridge tiles and cross finials at the east end of the chancel and over the porch. The three stage tower has a clock by Benson of London on its south side.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The porch has tiled floors, plastered walls and a ceiling painted blue above the exposed rafters. The doorway into the nave has two orders of triple shafts. The capitals are carved with rings and inverted fleurs-de-lys and rings above the cushion bases. The tower ground floor is stone again with plastered walls and a ceiling with a hatch to the ringing chamber and its usually used as a vestry. The there is one step up from the porch into an internal porch. The nave has a floor of C19 tiles with benches on the raised plank floor. The walls are plastered and painted all beneath a roof line using the C15 construction of nine arch-braced collar trusses with foiled raking struts to form eight bays. Some of the early trusses have small carvings at the centre of their soffits. A five bay arch divides the north aisle off. Two steps up from the nave lead into the chancel with two further steps into the sanctuary and a further one to the altar. The sanctuary is partially floored with encaustic tiles (probably Maws). The c1920 oak reredos is panelled with a decorative frieze. The font is from the earlier church being dated about 1300 and being monolithic and carved from ashlar. The pulpit is also ashlar with coloured marble panels.
The stained glass in the east window is by Ward & Hughes ‘Life of Christ’ dated 1880; ‘The Apostles’ in sombre colours is by Clayton & Bell of 1933 and having an Arts and Crafts feeling; ‘Annunciation’ by Celtic Studios on 1972; and ‘Adoration’ by John Petts in 1973.
In the sanctuary is a recumbent effigy said to be Dafydd ap Gruffydd Fechan, a knight in armour, the detail of which is well preserved and dates from c1400.
There are six bells in the tower, one from 1658 by Clibury, one from 1914 by James Barwell and four from the Whitechapel foundry on 1945. There is also a service bell
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.