The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Mochdre is 6 km south of Newtown amid a maze of lanes. Hills rise particularly to the south. The Mochdre Brook, a tributary of the River Severn drains the settlement.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
There has been a church on this site since the C12, it was appropriated by the Bishop of St David’s in 1287 and at the time of the Taxation of 1291 is was valued at £3-6s-8d. By 1849 the church was in major decay and under the direction of E Haycock jun. work was undertaken during which the old building was demolished and a new church built on the old foundations. The cost was £1204, subscribed by a number of major benefactors, the angels and bosses of the roof were donated by Major Drew and the east window was donated by Miss Hamer of Glanhafren Hall.
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Cadw Listings Notice
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is a single chamber church, nave and chancel in one with a western bellcote, a south porch and a north vestry. It was built from small to medium blocks of grey and greenish-grey shale, irregularly coursed. The roof which was renewed in 1950 is slated with lead forming the ridge. There are cross finials on the gable end of the porch, chancel and on top of the bellcote which had timber louvres added in 1990.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The porch has a tiled floor with a two-centred entrance arch. There are three collar trusses to the roof and a large carved wooden angel on the collar above the nave door. The tiled floor continues through the nave and chancel with wooden boarding beneath the pews. The walls are plastered and painted save for the sandstone dressings. Above is a hammer beam roof of seven bays with eight arch-braced collar trusses rising from the hammer beams, and cusped raking struts. The hammer beams, which are mounted on short ornamental wall posts which rest on stone head-corbels, have chubby carved projecting angels. The stone corbels are alternately male and female heads. The roof appears to be one saved from the church dating to C15. One step up leads from the nave to the chancel with one to the sanctuary and one more to the altar.
The font is hexagonal in Perpendicular style with a panelled stem and Tudor roses in quatrefoils around the bowl. The east window donated by Miss Hamer is by Clayton &Bell, dated 1865’ The Crucifixion’, the west window is by Wailes.
Now in the National Museum in Cardiff are two medieval rood figures, Christ, strangely contorted, and Mary, in more realistic form, both C15 Gothic figures these were found hidden by wall plates at the time of rebuilding.
There is one bell of c1660 by Thomas Clibury.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.