The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
A church is recorded in the Domesday Book, later records date from 1254 and 1333 and are consistent with evidence of C13 and C14 work which survive. The church was almost wholly rebuilt in C15. Glass was given in 1500 by Thomas Stanley Earl of Derby. There is evidence for a processional route at the E end between the two chapels and behind a reredos thought to have been formed by the original E end of the C14 church, this was subsequently removed, the passageway was boarded over and the altar placed against the E wall. The arrangement has been linked with sources suggesting that the church had a miraculous relic or statue which attracted pilgrims. Restorations and alterations include work of c1820, by Street 1865-7, when the part of the tower was largely rebuilt following a collapse; and by Caroe, 1913. The N porch was added 1920-21.
Reference: Cadw listed building description.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is of uniform C15 build and design retaining some earlier features. It is of Cefn Sandstone with slate roof. Rectangular plan with a W tower and N and S porches, unbroken aisled nave and chancel. The windows are generally Perpendicular; 7 tall 4-light windows with traceried heads to each side, a 7-light E window flanked by smaller windows to chapels, that to the N is more elaborate than the others. There is a curvilinear C14 window in the W end of the S aisle. Clerestory windows have 4 cusped lights except those in the easternmost bay which have 3 lights. Parapets are embattled, the aisles have string courses with flowers, masks and animals. The tower has a C14 base and this is divided from the later work by a band of quatrefoils. There are paired traceried bell-openings with crocketed ogee headmoulds, and a panelled parapet with crocketed pinnacles alternating with statues.
Reference: Cadw lsted building description.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
This lacks structural division and there are continuous arcades of 7 bays, the easternmost bays in the aisles being devoted to chapels. An uninterrupted camberbeam roof of fine quality is panelled and has fluttering angels; the aisles have simpler roofs. at the E end the arcades stop short of the easternmost bay from which point they continue as solid walls pierced on each side by arched openings. Doorways above these formerly led to a gallery over a reredos. There is a vestry beneath a boarded floor and a vaulted crypt runs beneath the chancel. The present sanctuary is largely Caroe's work. The N chapel has a canopied niche set in the E wall supported by a grotesque head, the S chapel has a cusped ogee piscina with a crocketed gable in the S wall. 1 There is a fine set of medieval furnishings including a chancel screen attributed to the Ludlow workshop and parclose screens and N and S chapel screens of similar, somewhat simpler design. There is a set of 14 stalls and 11 misericords with traditional carved designs. The font is octagonal with a traceried stem and carved panels. Later furnishings include two fine C18 chandeliers, a pulpit by Street, 1865; organ by Hill & Son, 1912 and a reredos by John Douglas, 1879. Stained Glass: Medieval glass of c1500. N chapel E window of 1498 has scenes from the lives of St Anne and the Virgin; N window has scenes from the life of the Virgin. S chapel E window has depictions of St Apollonia, St Anthony, St John the Baptist and others. Later work includes windows by Lobin of Tours, Clayton & Bell, Heaton, Butler & Bayne and Kempe, some with medieval glass in the tracery. Monuments: There are a number of C16, C17, C18 and C19 monuments, some of high quality. The most notable include late C16 and early C17 Trevor memorials in the S chapel. Later monuments include works by Chantrey, Westmacott, Alexander Wilson Edwards of Wrexham and a life-size female figure by Theed, 1851. Group value with enclosed graves in the graceyard, the graceyard wall and gatepiers, with Achill, Church House and Strode House and with All Saints School and Schoolhouse.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.