The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Anglican parish church, mostly C15. Some rebuilding said to have been done c1750, possibly the porch. Reseated in 1847 with new pulpit and 3 new windows, to design by John Prichard. Restored 1884-5 by Richard Creed, tower top rebuilt in Ham Hill stone 1884-5 for #256/10/0d (#256.50), A.E. Saunders builder, new chancel arch in Penyclawdd stone, for which James Morgan, mason, was paid #49, and timber tower screen. Chancel restored 1886-7 for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, possibly by Creed. Nave ceiling in red deal, 1890, by Creed. In porch plaque refers to work in 1926.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Anglican parish church. Sandstone rubble with freestone to tower and stone tiled roofs. Ashlar C19 coping to gables and cross finials. Tower, long nave with central S porch, and chancel. Fine W tower of three stages with string courses in pink sandstone, rebuilt embattled parapet and 3 tall crocketted finials in yellow sandstone. NE embattled square stair tower. Raised plinth with heavy ogee moulding, moulded pointed W doorway with C19 door, tiny square deep-set light above. Similar small lights to second stage set low on N and S, high on W face. Top stage has small 2-light flat-headed bell-openings, recessed with cusped ogee heads and stone louvres. Stone rainwater spouts to centre of each face. Nave has C15 heavily moulded timber eaves cornice surviving at left end only. One late C19 single light left of porch with cusping, two small quatrefoils, flat head and deep hoodmould. Porch has C19 coping, C19 restored segmental pointed moulded arch and C19 roof within. C19 plank door. To right grouped together are a small medieval cusped lancet, a large original Perp segmental pointed 3-light window with panel tracery, and two superimposed rood lights, renewed in C20. Deep-set 2-light below, flat headed with cusped ogee heads to lights, and a flush 2-light above. Chancel S has single lancet with cusped head, narrow door with segmental pointed head and recessed 3-light window with arch-heads to lights, all C19. E end has battered wall-base and 3-light window, stepped lancets, C19 sandstone. N side has one small cusped lancet to right. Nave N has coped projection for rood-stair to right with small flat-headed flush 2-light window, chamfered surrounds. C15 moulded timber eaves cornice carried on small corbel blocks. Two large late C19 2-light windows with cambered heads, deep-hoodmoulds and Perp style tracery. Battered base to nave walls.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Segmental-pointed tower arch with stone voussoirs, late C19 timber screen, narrow Tudor-arched door to stair-turret, high ringing floor in tower. Walls stripped of plaster, 1890 boarded nave roof. Rood stair N with diagonally set Tudor-arched door, hollow moulded with traceried relief panels on right side jamb. Stair turns to give access to pulpit via Tudor-arched door in E wall of nave. 1884-5 chancel arch, pointed with half-octagonal shafts. Plank S door, possibly C18, with strap hinges, segmental-pointed over arch. The big S 3-light Perp window is in Tudor-arched recess with seat within. The lower of the two rood lights has lintel corbelled from left with triangular relieving stones over (seen also over rood stair opposite). Chancel has double recess N with chamfered jambs and heads. E window wholly C19. Small S wall trefoil headed piscina, and seat in 3-light window. 1886-7 roof of collar-rafters with scissor bracing. Retooled medieval hexagonal font with 2 chamfers below, over splayed stem with malt-shovel panels. C19 pine pews, mid C19 poppyhead desk and stalls, and C20 panelled pulpit. Late C19 brass standards to altar rail. Memorials : Nave N oval plaque to David Morgan of Bryngwyn d 1816, well-lettered plaque with winged cherub head to Benjamin Nicholas d 1734, signed T. Brute, rustic Adam-style memorial to William Morgan, 1804, with side tapered fluted pilasters, urn top and obelisks, signed H. James. Very large marble plaque to Elizabeth Jones of Clytha House d 1787 with high tapering top and long encomium inscription. Nave S rustic Adam-style plaque to John Howells d1798 and his wife d 1803 with fluting, paterae and obelisk top with urn between 2 small obelisks with pineapples, signed G. Greenway of Wyesham. E window stained glass 1969 by Celtic Studios, Christ in glory.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.