The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
No feature is really datable before the C15 but it seems likely that the church was re-featured then and the fabric of the body of the church and the base of the tower is older. The church was re-roofed with a straight ridge in 1827 by John Upton, the Gloucester engineer, and he probably also built the top of the tower and possibly added the south porch. John Prichard restored the church again in 1864-5 when the windows were repaired, the east window replaced and the furniture added. The church has been little changed since then.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Built of red sandstone random rubble with ashlar dressings, the top of the tower is clearly differentiated from the rest, stone slate roofs. Nave with continuous chancel under one roof, south porch, west tower. The south wall of the nave is in three bays, porch, window and projection with window and rood stair. The porch is wide with an only slightly pointed arch and a broad gable with apex cross; pointed arch south door within. Both windows are 2-light square headed Perpendicular ones with cinquefoil lights and glazed spandrels; the right hand window is taller. Two of the larger type windows on the north wall. The roof line is continuous from nave to chancel, the line of the original nave roof shows on the east face of the tower. The chancel has a 4-light window of the same type on both north and south walls, the south one projects slightly from the wall. The east gable is coped with an apex cross. The east window is a large 4-light Victorian early Perpendicular style one with hoodmould. Below the window are two small recesses, the south one apparently once a door. The tower is tall and square without a stair turret. It has four floors which are demonstrated by the small windows on the south and west faces. The bell-stage is a clear addition or rebuilding, the stonework is carefully matched but lacks quoins and shows up as different on all four faces; there are plain bell openings on the east and north faces only. Conical roof with a ball finial.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The interior is wholly plastered and painted and is very plain. Continuous open roof of 1827, plastered and painted between seven large trusses with raking supports to the collars, wall-plate, ridge-piece, and three tiers of purlins. The top and bottom doors and the rood stair survive. Re-set possibly late Norman bowl font, otherwise the furnishings are by Prichard. Some medieval tiles, one dated 1456. Some good wall monuments.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.