The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
High on the mountain above the Conwy Valley the church and settlement are almost due east of Llanrwst. The settlement is 18.5km south of Conwy via the B5106 to Trefriw and then a minor road up the hillside (unfenced through the forestry. It is 8.5km north of Betws -y-Coed.
AA Route Planner
OS Map 115
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Tradition has it that Llewelyn ap Iorwerth worshipped here before building a new church in the valley at Trefriw so as to save his consort, Princess Joanne, the daily journey up the mountain to worship. It is a C12 church probably lengthened and re-roofed in C14 and a second, northern aisle was added in the early C16, probably under the patronage of Meredith ap Ieuan ap Robert of Gwydir. Some windows and doors were altered in C18 and C19.
Buildings of Wales –Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is a square church with twin aisles, the earlier one being constructed with flush-rendered rubble while the later, north aisle, was made from roughly- dressed slatestone blocks. There are slate roofs, the outer pitches of which have older heavier slates, while the inner pitches have mode modern slates, coped and with kneelered gabled parapets and exposed rafter ends at the eaves. There is a rubble bellcote to the west gable with a Tudor arched bell opening. The south entrance is deeply recessed with a C17 door of post and panel type, with a pegged, arched frame and keeping the original pivot hinge arrangement.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Slate flagged floors which incorporate C18 and C19 gravestones, stepped centrally to give the eastern end a lower level. The south aisle has 10 clustered roof trusses of braced collar beam type and the south wall is correspondingly raised about 80cm with contemporary timber stud framing. The chancel has a barrel-vaulted ceiling. This all makes for a dark interior. The oak altar rails have turned balusters and is inscribed with the date of 1636, beyond is an early C17 oak altar table with scrolled brackets to a plain frieze, and supported on plain stretchers on octagonal-sectioned legs. There is an octagonal oak pulpit and associated reading desk of early C17 together with a plain early medieval font with chamfered sides. There is a variety of medieval stained-glass fragments: ‘God the Father with the dove of the Holy Spirit and Crucified Christ together with two further heads of the Christ Child and the Virgin and Child’; ‘The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary’, 1533; and two further windows with fragments of medieval coloured glass. There is one early C13 bell of unknown origin.
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.