The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
The name/dedication of the church and its location.
A brief description of the image.
The date the image was created.
Details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who uploaded the image.
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Medieval church dedicated to a Celtic saint, possibly on an early medieval site though present building believed to have been founded in C12 after Norman expansion into Vale of Glamorgan, the Lordship of Ogmore unusually consisting not only of the lowland Vale but this upland area known as Eglwysceinor or Ceinwyr. Under Maurice de Londres who held Lordship of Ogmore from 1126, flocks owned by Cistercian monks from Margam Abbey grazed these upland pastures, the monastic connection surviving in nearby place names Cae and Ty Abbot. Most surviving medieval fabric of church dates from a probably C15 - C16 rebuilding. Major restoration by G Halliday 1894, Llandaff Diocesan Architect, paid for by Miss Olive Talbot of Margam cost £3000, and is responsible for much of the present appearance of the church.
Reference: Cadw list description.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Plan of W tower, S porch, aisleless nave and narrower, lower chancel. Built of sandstone rubble, mostly snecked to chancel but reusing some old fabric, with ashlar dressings; thick slate roofs with crucifix finials and gable parapets; weathercoursing of earlier roof visible on E face of tower and E gable end of nave; overhanging eaves. The large square late medieval 3 stage W tower has deep corbelled and crenellated parapet with ashlar dressings and 2 light louvred belfry windows with stopped labels to square heads; on W face the vertically laid stones forming a cambered arch externally appear as a relieving arch but internally suggest a blocked opening; lower down there is a relieving arch over a 3 light window with cusped ogee and stilted label ornament; medieval chamfered segmental arched doorway below with boarded door; the S face has lean to vice stair projection with small rectangular windows; no masonry break between this and S side of nave. Nave has two 3 light windows to both sides, one of which to each side has ogee tracery, those on the S side flank the porch, all part of the C19 refenestration; the S side also has a 2 light square headed window originally lighting the rood; nave gable end to N has C19 octagonal stone chimney stack. Gabled S porch with deeply moulded arch; figure of St Cein in canopied niche; semicircular arched late medieval inner doorway. Chancel has on S side pointed and moulded arched priest's door with dated monogram to strapwork; 2 light square headed windows to right and the E bay has similar single light windows to N and S; all these windows have carved headstops, one dated and with armorial shield; 3 light pointed arched E window with similar headstops. The church stand in a rectangular churchyard fronted on E by a rubble drystone wall with entrance SE comprising 2 tall stone piers with pyramidal caps and decorative double wrought iron gates; the churchyard contains headstones from C18 and table tombs from 19 and a number of unusual coffin shaped kerb graves, and one grave with rare surviving metal cover separately listed.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Interior is largely limewashed with open timber roof. Five bay nave with arched brace trusses, 3 of which are original; bosses and moulded capitals at the tops of the springers over stone corbels; stone flagged floor. Stripped low round headed chancel arch with thin voussoirs, flanked by squints; on N side is tall segmental headed rood loft door, the stairs to this rising from the chancel; the former rood screen was unusually partly supported by the projecting masonry built out below impost level. Three bay chancel with matching roof trusses and crenellated wall plates; eastern bay is boarded; low pointed rere-arches to windows with fleuron ornament; sedilia has splayed corners with broad foliation; tall piscina with drain on semi-octagonal projection - these all part of the Halliday restoration. Taller pointed stripped west historicwales.gov.uk Report Page 1/2 historicwales.gov.uk arch; tower is vaulted beneath bell stage with holes for the bellropes; diagonal chamfer stops on the pointed arched doorway to spiral stone stairs in stair turret. Church retains C17-C19 monuments to the Jenkins family, one by I Wood of Bristol and a C17 ledger slab in chancel; benefaction boards; C12 stone drum font with replaced base; Gothic style organ case; Jacobean altar table; E window erected by parishioners to Olive Talbot who financed restoration.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.